After thirty five years at 724 Lawrence Avenue, the United Steelworkers Local 1220 closed their doors on October 31st, 1975. The original union was started in 1936 as Lodge 205 of the Amalgamated Association of Iron, Steel, and Tin Workers. In 1937 the union was chartered under the Steel Workers Organizing Committee when it was located in the former First National Bank Building. Later the meetings were moved the second floor of the former Schweiger Building on the corner of Lawrence Avenue and Sixth Street.
The first president of the SWOC Local 1220 was T. Louis Majors followed by Samuel Tooch in June of 1938. When SWOC Local 1220 ceased operations in 1975, the officers of the union included Nick Frisk, president; James Foley, vice president; Joseph Mancini, recording secretary; and Charles Maggi, financial secretary; and George Richards, treasurer.